The Indian diabetes market is fragmented with the presence of several players such as Novo Nordisk, Eli Lilly, Sanofi-Aventis, Biocon, Wockhardt, Shreya Lifescience, GlaxoSmithKline, Panacea Biotech, Strides Acrolab, Torrent Pharmaceuticals, Ranbaxy, Dr. Reddy’s, Cipla and Sun Pharmaceuticals. It has been accounted that around 5% of the population in India was affected by diabetes in FY’2011, which again showcases great potential for anti-diabetic drugs market in India. In addition, it is believed that the rural India which comprises around 55% of the total number of diabetes patients in India is still under-penetrated.
The high proportion of Indian population is still undiagnosed with diabetes. This is especially true in case of rural areas where individuals are still unaware of the need to monitor their glucose level. According to the survey by World Health Organization (WHO), more than 60% of undiagnosed diabetes population belongs to rural areas.
The huge population size and urban-rural differences of diagnosed to undiagnosed diabetes make population screening infeasible in India. The study showcased that major proportion of type 2 diabetic subjects remain asymptomatic and opportunistic screening for diabetes is needed for the early diagnosis of the disorder.
Novo-Nordisk and Sanofi-Aventis have introduced rapid-acting and long-lasting insulin analogues such as Levemir and Lantus respectively in order to the fast evolving analogues market in India. These innovations in analog mixtures and basal analogs have significantly boosted the market growth.
The report titled “India Diabetes Industry Research and Forecasts to FY’2016 – Shift towards Modern Insulin Delivery Devices” provides a comprehensive analysis on the market size of diabetes industry on the basis of number of diabetic patients in India, sales of anti-diabetic drugs and diabetes devices in India, market segmentation by Type 1 and Type 2 diabetic patients, Insulin and oral anti-diabetic drug market in India. The report also entails the size of diabetes testing devices and insulin delivery devices segments further categorized into test strips, glucose meters, lancets, vial and syringes, reusable insulin pens and prefilled pens. The report also covers competitive landscape and profiles of major players operating in the diabetes industry.
Key Topics Covered in the Report:
- The market size of the India diabetes market on the basis of number of type 1 and type 2 diabetes patients, FY’2005-FY’2011
- The Indian anti-diabetic drug and diabetes device market size on the basis of revenue, FY’2005-FY’2011
- Market segmentation of anti-diabetes drugs market into Insulin and Oral anti-diabetic drug sales and diabetes devices into testing (test strips, lancets and meters) and delivery devices (vial and syringes, reusable insulin pens, prefilled insulin pens), FY’2005-FY’2011
- Trends and developments in the Indian Anti-diabetic drug and Device Care market
- Competitive landscape of the Insulin, Oral anti-diabetic drug, diabetes testing and delivery devices segment in India, FY’2011
- Future outlook and projections of Indian anti-diabetic drugs and diabetes device market on the basis of sales, FY’2012-FY’2016
- Macroeconomic and industry factors including number of diabetes patients in India, personal disposable income, Indian Pharmaceutical market revenue and R&D expenditure and health expenditure, FY’2005-FY’2016
For more information on the research report, please refer to the link below:
For more information on healthcare vertical, please refer to the link below: