Hollywood, CA: Ten years ago, the idea of pitching a series based on brain-eating zombies would have been ludicrous. Now, AMC’s megahit The Walking Dead is one of TV’s highest rated shows. The extraordinarily popular series also spawned the “afterglow talk show” Talking Dead, which airs immediately following, so fans can enjoy an additional hour of “walkers” discussion.
IMDb list these scary series are now dominating the tops spots on television:
• American Horror Story: An anthology series that centers on different characters and locations, including a haunted house, an insane asylum, a witch coven and a freak show.
• Penny Dreadful: Explorer Sir Malcolm Murray, American gunslinger Ethan Chandler, and others unite to combat supernatural threats and vampires in Victorian London.
• The Walking Dead: Police officer Rick Grimes leads a group of survivors in a world overrun by zombies.
• Bates Motel: A contemporary prequel to the genre-defining film "Psycho," that gives a portrayal of how killer Norman Bates’ psyche unravels through his teenage years.
• Ghost Adventurers: Zak Bagans, Nick Groff, and Aaron Goodwin investigate the scariest, most notorious, haunted places in the world in this reality TV hit.
• Hannibal: Explores the early relationship between the renowned psychiatrist and his patient, a young FBI criminal profiler, who is haunted by his ability to empathize with serial killers.
The success of the horror genre has attracted Hollywood’s top talent to TV. Academy Award winners Jessica Lange (Fiona Good, American Horror Story), and Vera Farmiga (Norma Bates, Bates Motel) deliver outstanding performances in their lead roles.
“The Horror genre is getting bigger and better,” says Ivonna Cadaver, star of the nationally syndicated Macabre Theatre . “Women are right there in the fore-front of today’s scariest shows, and it is an exciting time to be part of it all.”
Gorier, bloodier, and grittier reboots of classic horror franchises have also been a popular choice for TV series lately. Rosemary’s Baby will join with shows like Teen Wolf and Sleepy Hollow in bringing spine-tingling thrills and chills to horror fans across the country.
The Internet Movie Database (abbreviated IMDb) is an online database of information related to films, television programs, and video games, taking in actors, production crew, fictional characters, biographies, plot summaries, and trivia.
For Media Contact:
TV Entertainment News